The oldest museum in Gwynedd


Budget cut worry for city museum

“It is all very accessible, there are no unmade bed artworks here
Alan Dyer, Friends of Gwynedd Museum and Art Gallery

Friends of the oldest museum in Gwynedd fear it faces closure due to a cut in council funding.
Supporters of Gwynedd Museum and Art Gallery in Bangor claim the plan to withdraw funding came out of the blue.
Gwynedd council said it faced a significant financial deterioration and it had no option but to review funding. A working group is to consider all options.
The museum was first opened in 1884 by Bangor university.
But it has been run by Gwynedd county council since 1991.
“We were shocked, there was no rumour or hint that this was going to happen, it just fell from the sky on us,” said Alan Dyer, chairman of Friends of Gwynedd Museum and Gallery.
Mr Dyer said he was “as happy as I could reasonably be” that a working group had been set up to consider all possibilities.
The museum’s most valuable collection is its archaeological artefacts.
“A collection like this cannot be seen anywhere else in north Wales,” he said.
Many people did not realise what was in the city centre museum he said, even though “we try hard to publicise it”.
“It is all very accessible, there are no unmade bed artworks here,” he added.
John Marjoram, developments officer for Wales with the Museums Association, said Gwynedd council should continue to support the facility.
“If Gwynedd council is serious about history, culture, and the Welsh language then it needs to support Gwynedd Museum,” he said.
“Once it is lost you can’t get it back as the collections will be dispersed.”
Rhys Wyn Parri, head of Gwynedd Council lifelong learning service said it contributed £83,500 to the annual running costs.
But he said since the agreement to run the museum had been made, the financial situation facing the council had “deteriorated significantly”.
The museum has free entry and is opened every afternoon from Tuesday to Saturday.

Petition

Update

Note that the PAS funding is also under threat:

Our Past History

Archaeoastronomy: The Portable Antiquities Scheme and the Indifference of Government

Archaeoastronomy: News from Westminster

PAS petition

And the British Library

“It is difficult to fathom the mind of a Government that sets out to wreck a world-class public institution….”[!]

I haven’t commented before because I’ve been speechless with despair as British funding cuts threaten our cultural institutions – the BL, PAS and Bangor Museum are not the only ones – and other bloggers are doing a sterling job of alerting the blog community.. As Mother Ramsbottom said, in the monologue, Albert and the Lion ; “Eeeh, I am vexed!”

Gold coins show ‘Emperor of Britain’

Two “extremely important” gold coins that shed light on a little-known rebel Roman emperor from the 3rd century AD have been unearthed by a farmer in the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire area. They relate to the Roman commander Carausius, who declared himself Emperor of Britain around 286 or 287 after the Emperor in Rome ordered his execution. He was overthrown in a coup d’état by his finance minister, Allectus, in 293.
The coins were handed in to the Portable Antiquities Scheme and moved to the British Museum. The scheme is facing a freeze in funding, despite recording more than 314,000 discoveries that have revealed many new archaeological sites.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s