Archaeological recording and excavation is in progress in advance of the construction of a major Welsh Assembly Government development project at Ty Mawr, Holyhead. The engineering consultancy, Atkins, in association with local construction company, Jones Brothers, are managing the first phase of construction works, due for completion in early 2008.
At the Parc Cybi site, the most obvious remnants are two Scheduled Monuments of prehistoric date – Ty Mawr Standing Stone and the Trefignath Burial Chamber. Cadw, the Welsh Assembly Government’s advisers on the historic environment, have been consulted throughout the conception and design of the development to ensure that these historic assets are respected The standing stone is to be left in situ, to form an integral part of the character of Parc Cybi. The relationship between the standing stone and the burial chamber, which is just beyond the development site, has been safeguarded in the design by preserving inter-visibility between the two monuments. In addition, an extensive programme of archaeological excavations began in late 2006 to ensure that buried archaeology on the site is properly recorded and understood in advance of construction works.
AN archaeological dig has begun inside Salisbury Cathedral to prepare for a new font to be installed as part of the 750th anniversary celebrations later this year.
The cathedral is planning to install a new font designed by William Pye during 2008.
The purpose of the current dig is to ascertain whether the reservoir, pump housing, water supply and drainage can be installed under the floor.
The new font will feature in the major liturgical celebration of Salisbury 750 in September, in the presence of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
This font replaces Sibirica Minor, which was removed in November 2007, the last in a series of water sculptures by William Pye at the north porch crossing.
Sibirica Minor was used as a font most successfully, at Diocesan Confirmations, the Easter Dawn Eucharist and Baptisms during the Sunday Eucharists.
The main body of the cathedral was completed in 1258, when the nave may have been paved in Purbeck Marble.
This was replaced in 1878 at a cost of £1,250, during the restoration work undertaken by Sir George Gilbert Scott.
The archaeological explorations will investigate any surviving evidence of an earlier floor and record any burial features found below the floor.