A TEAM of archaeologists will investigate the remains of a fort that gave a Highland town its name, to learn more about its development under an occupying army.
Dr Tony Pollard, director of Glasgow University’s centre of battlefield archaeology, will lead the excavation next month at Fort William, where a community grew up around the original military fort.
In 1690 the fort at Inverlochy was strengthened by 20ft-high walls and barracks for 1,000 men and named after William of Orange. A town that grew up alongside in the 17th and 18th centuries was called Maryburgh, after his queen. Troops who committed the Massacre of Glencoe in 1692 were sent from Fort William. The stronghold was also besieged by Jacobites before the Battle of Culloden in 1746.